Saturday, May 16, 2009

Unexpected

There's not really a good way to write about this.

Yesterday I was trying to get a hold of my mom, which usually is not very difficult, what with cell phones and everything. I finally reached her and found out that she was at the hospital with my dad (a not too rare thing, quite honestly), that he had to go to the emergency room.

This time was different than the other times he went there, though. This was the last time he would go to the hospital. After so many times spending days or weeks in a hospital bed, putting up with the food, battling through fevers and pain unimaginable, three failing kidneys, infections, pneumonia, and so much else, he was apparently not going to do that again, because he just left.

Left his body behind.
This photo was taken a few months ago, the day of Jack's baby blessing. This is one of our favorites. He's talking cars with one of Jessica's brothers. We are all really glad that he's been having good days lately. In fact, just this past Sunday, Mother's Day, we all got together and he was in fantastic form, giving J a bad time about putting milk on her cake, looking at our brother-in-law's Jeep with him to diagnose a problem with it, playing with his grandkids at a park ...

How fortunate for us that we get to remember him that way.

12 comments:

Denae said...

Brian,
my thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

TJ said...

I'm so sorry Brian, our family will remember yours in our prayers.

Sacajawea said...

I'm so very sorry.

Angie Lewis said...

My dad just told me about him today - I'm so sorry for you and your family. What a blessing that you have great memories of him!

Tiffany said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with your family Brian. We know all too well how hard this can be.

Tianna said...

Oh Brian, I'm so sorry. You're in our prayers. Thank goodness for the Plan of Salvation. What a perfect way to teach your kids. If you need anything... dinner, babysitting, chocolate, anything... let me know.

Spencer Ellsworth said...

Oh guys... so sorry. I send you spiritual casseroles and love.

I always remember how much he hated Cute Band Alert at first and then, after we actually learned to play, how he started making us stickers without telling us.

He was a good man.

Chrissy said...

I'm very sorry Brian.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear this. We wish you well.

Cary said...

I'm sorry, Brian. The way you write about him just shows how wonderful of a father he was. My prayers are with you.

Megan said...

I'll never forget your V.I.P. poster in second grade that your dad made and how jealous I was that he was an artist. All my dad could do was write good. Yours could draw drawrings.

Bless you all. I called my mom and told her--we're thinking about you guys. Let us know if we can help!

TheKeilShpeel said...

I"m so sorry Brian. Your family will be in our prayers. I'm glad you have great memories of him. I loved reading the comments and to hear of other memories people have had of him. Sounds like he was a great man.