Thursday, January 1, 2009

Ten Years Looking Back

So we rang in the new year. J worked, so I was home with Mini Holdinator #3 (1 and 2 were asleep) when the two-hour delayed film of the ball dropping played on TV.

I have no idea what 2009 holds in store, but if you'll bear with with (endure it well friends), I've really been thinking a lot about New Years ten years ago.

Ten years ago I celebrated New Years at the Wilk on BYU campus. I don't know if they still do this, but back then there was a huge multi-stake dance at BYU on New Years Eve for the youth. I distinctly remember talking with my friend Yvonne about how this next year would be huge. 

For one thing, I knew that I'd be graduating from high school. Somehow high school graduation seemed like one of the most significant transitions I could make. And it turned out it was.

I also knew that by the end of the year I'd be serving a mission somewhere ... it turned out to be Michigan. But that change, from no responsibilities punk to full-time ecclesiastical work, was pretty daunting to consider.

But as it turned out, there was one thing that happened that year that has had more profound influence on the past ten years than anything else. 

It was a hike to the Y.

From that vantage point I struck up a conversation with a kid from Southern California who was planning on starting a punk band when his friend (who played bass) moved up to Utah that summer. They would need a drummer, and I agreed to play with them and see how things worked out.

Things worked out pretty well with that band; we became best friends, and through those associations I met J.

1999.

Yeah, it was great.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I remember being really excited about graduating this year, but I'm foggy on the details... remind me to read in my journal :)

Spencer Ellsworth said...

I heard about that hike. At the time, it seemed immensely significant because it led to the birth of CBA.

Chrissy said...

I think the bass man is hot.

Holdinator said...

CBA's not the only birth that hike led to. There are three mini-Holdinators around here that wouldn't be without it.

Cary said...

I have yet to know what "J" stands for. . . Josephina? Jacinda? Jahnavi? Jamilah? Janisa? The list could go on and on. And by the way, you have a number THREE??! Name please.