Thursday, November 8, 2007

Bravo!!!

Now, I just heard this on the radio on my way to work, but I am absolutely thrilled about it. It demonstrates a more realistic take on all things historical within the Church.

I am referring to the new publication of the Book of Mormon by Doubleday. Word is that in the introduction there is a slight change in the line (I'm going from memory here, not having a copy of the Book of Mormon in front of me), "All were destroyed except the Lamanites, and they are the principal ancestors of the American Indians." Apparently the new publication reads, "All were destroyed except the Lamanites, and they are among the ancestors of the American Indians."

Ah, what a beautiful thing. It is so wonderful when we actually take the book at its word and don't add things that were never claimed, i.e. there is no claim whatsoever that the Nephites/Lamanites/Mulekites were the only inhabitants of the Western hemisphere. In fact, from the descriptions of geography in the book (like in, if my memory suits me, Alma 22 where we learn about the length and breadth of the land) we see that the Nephites inhabited a rather small area.

So anyway, I'm excited about this. We are becoming ever more realistic and our faith can be rooted in what it ought to be--the witness of the Holy Ghost that Jesus is the Christ.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Interesting.

By the way, you've been tagged (see my blog).