Tuesday, November 20, 2007

How We Treat Others

From the ancients, with very little commentary, I offer a few thoughts:

But ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness; ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another (Mosiah 2:15).

And what you hate, do not do to anyone (Tobit 4:15).

This same principle put another way by our Master:

Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets (Matthew 7:12).

But then at the end of His ministry, He could draw on the example of His own actions and say:

As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you (John 15:9-12).

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Have you ever noticed how sometimes, just sometimes, the golden rule works opposite? I mean, do unto others as they would want you to do unto them. OK, not in the greater sense, but in small simple things.

Holdinator said...

I suppose that's the challenge of living among a lot of unique individuals. Certainly not everyone wants to be treated the same way. Hence the highest of these commands is that to love others as Christ does: even if they don't want it, it's what's best for them (speaking mostly about me).