Thursday, March 20, 2008

It All Started At a Bookstore

I spent one semester as a student at UVSC.

Just one semester.

I developed an intense desire to transfer to BYU. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy my classes at UVSC. Goodness knows it wasn't that.

But there were two things about BYU that really enticed me:
1. The Spirit of the campus
2. A certain young lady who attended school there

So that was my only semester at UVSC.

But it served as a wonderful pretense for a crucial day in my life.

March 20, 2002

She worked at a bookstore in the mall. It was not unusual for me to visit her at work and talk with her at length about things. But this day I wasn't there for just casual conversation.

I wanted her to read what I had in a folder.

Oh, it appeared to be another assignment for my English class. I had an introductory college English course that semester, and she had a creative writing class. We would read each other's stuff and comment on it. So she thought this was just another assignment...

But why would I want her to read it while she was at work? What was the rush?

This guy's a little weird.

But read it she did, and as she did her face flushed just a bit.

It was a letter addressed to her. It said, among other things, that I thought she was one of the most amazing people I knew, that she had taught me about charity and kindness in ways that I had never experienced before.

It was the catalyst for something great.

So, as has been the tradition for the past five years on this date, I have written to her each March 20th.

Here is the day again. I'm more in love with her now than ever before. She's the mother of our children, an amazing nurse with compassion unmatched, and as always the one who I can talk with about anything, and we understand each other.

Oh how we understand each other.

What a journey it's been to this place, and it only promises to get better.

What a lucky guy I am.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How I love you both. Your life together, Your Love for one another, Your Strengths and weaknesses, Your Love of our Lord and Savior, Your Love for your family, Your ability to help me see the goodness in Life, Always being there when I need you....Now you know why my prayers are so long. I have alot to be thankful for....

Megan said...

How sweet! I'm glad you found her Brian. And I do think she's very lucky to have found you too!

Denae said...

How wonderful it must be for her to have her very own Prince charming. You give me something to look forward to

Laurie said...

I know it might sound cliche, but that is so sweet!