Thursday, March 6, 2008

Lunch

I took the boys to Arctic Circle for lunch. That place was hoppin'. Kids everywhere eating, running, playing, and otherwise being kids.

Joshua is as social as a little guy could be, and he introduces himself to every child he meets, "Hi! I'm Joshua Huntington Holdaway!" And then he usually tells the child who he is pretending to be that day, "I'm Buzz Lightyear!" or "I'm a power ranger!"

For the life of him, he could not convince one little girl that he was a power ranger. "No, you're not!" she'd exclaim. She got so flustered that she struck a pose that was priceless. My meager descriptive ability won't do it justice, but I'll try anyway. She put her hands on her hips, and thrust those hips to the right with her shoulders bent in the opposite direction and a look of complete ATTITUDE on her face. I would have given anything to have had a camera. Joshua was not phased, though.

It wasn't much longer before Joshua found someone willing to play along with his power ranger persona. A girl, probably about 5 years old, who was just as sociable as Josh, responded to his assertion that he was a power ranger with, "My birthday is on Wednesday!" They played together for over an hour, mostly chasing each other around the jungle gym. She had the same color eyes as Joshua, which is most unusual. That stormy grayish, greenish, brownish color depending on the light. (If you click on this image and view it up close you can really see the dynamics of his eye color.) Morgan had a pretty great time too. He was fascinated when the people who replenish the gum ball machine came and sanitized and refilled it. He watched with utter amazement every movement they made.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I took Jemma to the play place at McDonalds a little while ago and she struck up a friendship with a little girl. The girl told Jemma her name and then Jemma said, "You can call me Sarah." When I questioned her about it she said that she thinks Sarah is a great name. I sort of think she was in "pretend" mode and possibly thought the other girl had given her a made-up name too. Who knows, but they had fun.

TheKeilShpeel said...

I love how he says his whole name.