Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Inept Homeowner, in which Holdinator breaks the Sprinklers

Bless her.

That's all I can say, really. She puts up with a heck of a lot, and so bless her.

That's not to say she wasn't aware of what she was getting into.

You see, when we were dating/engaged (somewhere in there) her car had a problem. I think there was a cable that came loose from the battery. Her dad spent no less than a half hour on the phone with me trying, very patiently, to describe where I should look under the hood to find this cable and reconnect it.

Total time project should have taken: 30 seconds

Total time project took in my hands: 45 minutes (because it took me 15 minutes to find the latch to release the hood)

So when we had a simple sprinkler repair in our front flower bed, and I decided I would investigate and be the superman I ought to be, I unearthed fifteen feet of sprinkler pipe looking for the place where I could unscrew the pipe from the rest of the pipe and take it to Home Depot to find a replacement.

Except that sprinkler pipe isn't screwed together, it's all glued together with these connector things or whatever ("Duh, dork," you're thinking). So all it took was sawing off a couple inches and gluing a new piece in place. Thanks to her brother, that was taken care of a month ago.

Thanks to me, it still doesn't work, because when I got that fifteen feet out, I broke the pipe somewhere else, and now ... well, I tried to at least bury the pipe so it wouldn't be sticking up out of the ground anymore, but the middle of it won't stay under the dirt.

I LOVE YOU JESSICA!

thanks for putting up with me

9 comments:

Holdinator said...

I heard he broke a shelf from the fridge while trying to fix a leak.

Holdinator said...

I heard he has above average hearing.

Holdinator said...

At least he's got that going for him.

Holdinator said...

Hey, leave me alone, just because the brownies I made last night were a little runny...

Holdinator said...

I hear the fridge still leaks.

Holdinator's Fridge said...

I may leak, but I am clean!

Spencer Ellsworth said...

AHH! The comment thread is coming from INSIDE YOUR HEAD.

Laurie said...

There are many gifts and to every man is given a gift...

It's ok if yours are not related to sprinklers. or fridges....

Unknown said...

I remember when you was going to charge the AC in the red car and dad was trying to explain it over the phone and you came into the condo and had a pale look on your face and said you just couldn't do it because of the warning sign so Jess went out and did it. Brian you are so loved and I know for sure if I have a scripture question or need to know something about the church that your my guy....that is worth alot more to me sometimes than being a handyman. I love you for who "You" are....