Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Week


Anyone who has not seen it yet, definitely needs to check out Jessica's new hair cut on her blog. She is absolutely adorable. What a lucky guy I am! (Here is a picture, but still check out her blog.)

Today Jessica had a conference for Pediatric nurses, and so I hung out with the boys all day. It was beautiful outside, wherefore we spent time in the backyard chasing each other and swinging (mostly them, I'm a little too big for our swing set). At one point I gave Joshua a push on a swing and he did this incredible upside down twist that sent him flopping on the ground (the push was not very hard, but I think he kind of let go of the ropes). I was very proud of him, because instead of giving into the bit of fear he must have felt, he laughed kind of nervously and got right back on the swing.

And so General Conference came and went. Wow! Just a couple of thoughts about that:

1. President Henry B. Eyring! I was so thrilled at this announcement. His talks in the Priesthood Session and on Sunday morning were incredible. He is one of the most humble and powerful men. Wow.

2. Elder Quentin L. Cook. I knew of Elder Cook from my days at the MTC when he was made head of the Missionary Executive Committee. I couldn't remember anything specifically about him, but as he stood up and spoke about Elder Maxwell encouraging him that if he felt comfortable testifying of the Savior he would be fine I really felt a confirmation that this was the man to be a special witness at this time.

3. Elder Wirthlin's family says he is in good health. Apparently he locked his knees while speaking. Ah, what a powerful talk he gave! He usually tells funny stories or makes some sort of joke, but I think this subject was too sacred to him for that--and wow! And Elder Nelson's sweet gesture to stand and support him while he finished. That was incredible. It kind of reminded me of when President Hunter collapsed while speaking, but got back up and finished his talk--with broken ribs!

4. Anyone wondering about the Church's doctrine concerning the Godhead, just ask Elder Holland, and you will know in no uncertain terms how it is. By the way, it just so happens to be the same doctrine that those in the New Testament believed.

5. President Hinckley bore powerful testimony as well, of the Restoration and the Savior. His talk in Priesthood was amazing. At 97 he is still going strong, this is just unprecedented!

So that's it.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Amen to your general conference summary. Elder Eyring is AMAZING. I've been obsessed with him for years. And sweet Elder Wirthlin never faltered or slowed his speaking pace! The church is true, that's for sure. Your wife is gorgeous and your kids sound great. God bless ya.

Tiffany said...

Hey Brian! Found your blog off of Megan's! I also enjoyed reading your thoughts on general conference! I loved it! Your family looks very happy-your boys are adorable! Check out our clog if you want!