Monday, April 28, 2008

Work on a Saturday

Saturday evening a young couple came by the lot. I asked if I could help them, and she said that she wanted to pick the color of her new car. I asked which car, and she said with a big grin, "The Saturn Sky."

Here is the Saturn Sky.
It costs a little over 30 thousand dollars new, but I figured they could very well be, uh, well-off and able to afford it, so I showed them the different colors then asked if they wanted to take a test drive.

Yes, they would.

In a two-seater like the Sky, the best option for a test drive is for me to go along, so that we have the assurance that the car is being cared for, etc. But they wanted to go together, so I asked if I could make a copy of her drivers license and insurance card (standard procedure for anyone taking a car without one of us along).

Now, if you were in her situation, what insurance card would you give me? Think about this. You are at a car dealership about to take an automobile for a test drive. They would like to confirm that you have insurance...

She pulled a card out of her wallet and handed it to me with her license. I made copies of both, gave them to her, and sent them on their way. I then looked at the copies to see where she had insurance, and realized she gave me her health insurance card (learning opportunity for me).

I should have asked for a copay. I could have made an extra 15 bucks.

Dang.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laurie said...

So did they buy the sky?

You definitely should have collected the copay.

Holdinator said...

I asked them what their purchase time frame was, and they said they planned on buying a Sky "four car purchases down the road."

Hmm.

Laurie said...

Good thing they test drove it.

Mark said...

I sold 6 Skys in one looooong weekend. It wiped-out our entire inventory.
But...the wierd thing is that IT WAS THE SAM GUY THAT BOUGHT THEM ALL!!
AND...THEY WERE ALL BLACK.

Mark said...

By the way, that last comment was actually from Dad, using our account. Couldn't you just tell by the way he writes?