Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Magic Number

You know how your parents would call you by your siblings' names. How sometimes they would go through all the names of their kids before they got to yours.

I wasn't that parent.

I never mixed up my Mini 1 with my Mini 2. I was pretty proud of that.

But then we had Mini 3 a week ago, and I've been all fouled up since.
So I've come up with a theory: The magic number for messing up your children's names is 3. With two it's pretty easy to differentiate, but with 3... it's hopeless. I will now forever be calling Mini 3 Mini 2 and Mini 2 Mini 1 and Mini 1 Mini 3 and ...
Now, I'm not completely sure about my theory, because I think it may be gender specific. If you have three children, but they're not all the same gender you may not mess up their names. But if you have three of all the same gender, that's when it starts for sure.

9 comments:

Angie Lewis said...

Wow, good to know....I think we all swore we'd never be that parent...good luck!

Megan said...

Brian, you think you're fouled up. We have two kids that look EXACTLY THE SAME. We're screwed. And even though Maggie's the only girl I call her Madison all the time. She's my niece. I've just learned to accept the fact that I'm gonna screw up their names and they'd better learn to deal. My mom always told us "you know who I'm talking to."

Matsby said...

I have a real problem with this. And if I've been around my family, then I am always calling my son by my little brother's name and my daughter by my little sister's name.

I once called my wife by my sister's name.

That was where I felt I had gone too far.

Holdinator said...

Megan, I was thinking about you as I wrote this. Twins would really throw me off too.

Gatsby, yeah, mixing of up your kids' names is one thing...

Anonymous said...

Dave and I do the exact same thing with our kids. It happens with Jackson occasionally, but it happens with our girls most often.

TJ said...

Maybe the fact all thier names start with mini is making it harder?

Holdinator said...

Well, there is that.

Laurie said...

you're onto something.

Chrissy said...

gatsby I feel you pain.