Sunday, August 3, 2008

Procrastinate and Brag

I had this grand idea when I started this blog nearly a year ago now. I was going to show off our book collection to the world.

J worked at book stores for a few years of her life and has been an avid reader and buyer of books for lots more years, and so we have a pretty decent sized collection of books.

Ever since we got married I've wanted to be able to display all these books so that visitors to our home could see how well read we (translated J) are.

When we lived in the condo we displayed our books in the dining room, and it looked like thisWe barely had any room to walk around our table, and a number of books came out of there with crusty food particles stuck to them thanks to mini#1's high chair position.

When we moved to our house I was so excited because there were enough rooms that I could create a library for our books. I had grand illusions of a very classy library lined floor to ceiling with beautiful bookshelves stocked and organized according to subject/genre/author etc. The reality of the library has been mostly something like this:By the way, this library accounts for about half of our entire collection. The rest were displayed in our living room and bedroom.It's not as overwhelming as, say, Stephen Rick's basement, but it's got it's own thing going.We just had some new carpet put in this last week, so our living room collection is still in this condition.All except for this one little bookcase that sits next to the couch in the living room now. And here's the thing, I'm feeling like I don't want anymore bookcases in here now. I like the way the room feels with just the one.
Hang on, I forgot to mention this one that is in our kitchen.The two bookcases in our bedroom aren't half bad, and these and the living room one will now serve as examples to us of what we could possibly accomplish with our books.This one is mostly (over three shelves) books by Louis La'more. J inherited this leather bound collection from her grandfather, and yes, I think she has read them all, plenty more than once.So now I've done it. You have seen our collection, I can finally say I did it. I hope I didn't bore you too much.

4 comments:

TJ said...

I would also like a library, I just got a fairly big bookself and was pleased that I filled it. I don't really have that many books, I'm too cheap and the public library is just too free.

Laurie said...

Wow, wow, triple wow. Quite the collection!

I used to have a similar ambition, but it somehow got lost along the way. That is not to say that my love of reading is lost, just the desire to own books. I'm a huge fan of the library.

Only wish I had more time to read. I suppose someday I will.

Holdinator said...

There's this one song by the Mighty Mighty Bosstones called "Someday I Suppose" and he says something about a book that he started to read and will someday finish.

Laurie's comment reminded me of that. And this is my blog so I can write whatever random thought I have.

Anonymous said...

With the new carpet and moving them around you need to be sure that you don't misplace any of your buckshelves. Dave