Friday, November 7, 2008

Eyes of Pink

I don't think you can see it that well, but I caught some pink eye from one of the kids. It's in the eye that is half shut. 

Anyway, this is a good shot of Jack's bulldog cheeks.

Oh yeah, and I chose the Seagull Book job. It pays slightly less (in the short term, but that will change when I become a store manager), but has much more affordable health insurance. It's a smaller company than the bank, but that means much less bureaucracy. The potential for growth in the company exists with both, but is more certain with Seagull. The schedules are comparable. The US Bank was an in-store branch, which means it is open extended hours and open most federal holidays, and there was a requirement of all bankers to hand out at least 100 fliers to in-store shoppers each week. 

And then there was this factor: When I got offered the job with the bank, I was extremely excited ... because someone offered me a job. When I got offered the job with Seagull I was really excited too ... because it was a job that I really wanted and know I would enjoy.

So, yeah. I start Monday. 

And I finished another book by A J Jacobs, this called The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World. He accomplished this feat by reading the entire Encyclopedia Britannica. I recommend it.

6 comments:

Tianna said...

So... someday when I decide to quit my job and only work part time, you're going to hire me, right? Even though I'm totally over-qualified since I have a bachelor's degree? I've just always wanted to work at an LDS bookstore. Seagull has turned me down twice. And now that I'm graduated, I think my chances are even more slim. [sigh]

100K Miles...and then some said...

Hey, it's good to see you stuck with the family company...remember your sister worked at a Seagull Book. Sounds more interesting to me. Good Luck.

Chrissy said...

A J Jacobs is hilarious. He was on the Moth podcast talking about how he outsourced his life.

Spencer Ellsworth said...

Since you are working in a bookstore, you will now qualify as a know-it-all.

Can you get me discounted books from Signature? Does Seagull books go in for that sort of thing?

Laurie said...

I would not have recognized Jack with those cheeks!!!

I think you made a good choice. It seems like a good fit for you.

TheKeilShpeel said...

Yeah.. Congrats on the job. I'm excited for you.. and I LOVE THOSE JACK CHEEKS. Their adorable.