Monday, November 3, 2008

Miracles Do Happen

Not quite like the pioneers, but close.

It started on a day when I decided to attend a job fair that was held at Energy Solutions Arena. KJZZ had been advertising this job fair during the pre-season Jazz games (go Jazz! yeah!), and I thought it would behoove me to give it a go.

I'd been to one other job/career fair, and it was not the most positive experience (thanks to my own negative attitude that developed after being snickered at when I told these prospective employers what my degree was in: "Really? You studied that? Why? What did you expect to do with that?"). But I thought that I should try again, and this time go with some more optimism. 

So I drove up to the Sandy Trax Station (thought I'd avoid looking for parking around the arena) and parked my 1995 Chevy Lumina (white, as if they made them in any other color that year), locked the doors and made my way toward the platform.
Then I remembered I didn't have a key to the door of the Lumina.

A couple weeks before through a set of strange circumstances, the one copy of the door key to my car was mysteriously misplaced (it still hasn't been found). I was realizing this predicament as I approached the ticket machine. Did you know (yes, you probably did) that the Trax ticket dispensers only take cash. I didn't have any cash.

And essentially, I didn't have a car. I walked back to the car and checked each of the doors multiple times. They were all very securely locked. 

So I made a bold decision. I would ride Trax without a ticket, but once I got to downtown I would find an ATM (none of those available at the Trax platform either) and buy an all day ticket to cover my heretofore unpaid ride.

While on the train I remembered that my parents were driving up to Salt Lake to take my sister to the dentist, so I called them and asked if they would be willing to give me a ride home after the job fair. They agreed.

But then I changed my plans, because the job fair had less than twenty companies represented, and most of those were telemarketing places. Though I did have one good conversation with a representative of US Bank.

So I was done long before my parents were. So I hopped back on Trax with a plan in my brain. I would walk to the South Town GM dealership and order a new door key for the Lumina. 

But first I had to get off the University Trax Line and back onto the regular southbound line (a mistake I seem to make every time I ride the dang thing).

The dealership did cut me a new key, but it took J faxing them a copy of the car title to prove that we actually own the thing and aren't just trying to steal it. 

The point is, US Bank hired me. I start there on Monday. The ordeal (a lot of fun, actually) was worth it.

10 comments:

TJ said...

That's awesome, what are doing for them?
I mean the job is awesome, not the ordeal.

Jessica said...

Fun? what the h?

Unknown said...

Congratulations!

Maybe US Bank can lend you some cash for the Trax?

100K Miles...and then some said...

Funny how it all works out in ways that you would never expect. Hope you like the bank job, be careful not to lock yourself in the safe.

Chrissy said...

congratulations!

The Morty's said...

Congratulations on the new job!!

Laurie said...

So that adventurous day proved all worth it!

Ummmm, I feel the need to clarify that your parents didn't just drive all the way to SLC to take your sister to a regular old trip to the dentist!

I like the advice from Dave.

Denae said...

HOORAY! I am so happy for you.

Spencer Ellsworth said...

wooo! Congratulations! There's a US bank just down the street from my house, so of course you will request a transfer to Bellingham, Washington.

Anonymous said...

Congrats, the job is nice, it is surely yours,go for it.