Monday, February 18, 2008

First First

Ah, I remember it well. Baker Street on a cold December morning in 1999. Elder Staker and I canvased the street in spite of a warning from a woman the day before, and we found plenty of interested people there. The first of these was a young mother named Julie. We knocked on Julie's door sometime between 11 and 12 that morning, and she agreed to here a message about Jesus Christ (what we missionaries called "The First Discussion). My heart beating fast, we entered her front room and began to talk to her about God's love for us, and eventually the prophet Joseph Smith. As I rehearsed to her the account of the First Vision I felt a surge of excitement run through me, and in the background heard music appropriate for the feeling, music from this daytime game show-
Yes! I felt as if I had just won it big in this my first real First discussion ever, and Bob Barker celebrated with a characteristic swing of his right arm.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

The Price is Right music always reminds me of being at Grandma Jessie's and/or Grandma Cowley's. I remember watching it with both of them.

Great background music for a 1st.