Monday, February 25, 2008

FM100 and Shocking Songs

Like many "offices" or work places in Utah, we play FM100 in the background all day at work. (By the way, if you do a google image search on "fm100," to try and find their logo or something, you may get a picture like this--introducing the "Feet Mittens!" I assume they are 100's, meaning they're pretty dang cool, better than the 99's anyhow.) The music pretty well serves to eliminate dead noise and create an atmosphere in which people are probably a little more comfortable than if there were no background music. But I've noticed something about the music played on this station owned by Bonneville Communications--a lot of the songs, if you listen to the words, have some pretty shady themes.

Case in point: a very popular song was playing today. I think the name of it is "More than Words." It's a nice raw-sounding acoustic guitar duet with neat harmonies and lots of repetition (I'm sure you all know the song). One of my coworkers walked past my desk and commented that this is a great song, but before I could ask him why he liked it so much, he had walked back to the service area. But I really wanted to know why he likes it, because if you listen to the lyrics it's kind of, well, should we say, naughty?

The whole point of the song is that the dude (or dudes I suppose) singing are trying to convince a girl that the real way to prove her feelings is not to just say that she cares or loves or whatever, but there needs to be something "more than words." And what is it that they expect? A physical relationship! And from the nuances of the lyrics it's pretty clear they don't just mean hand holding, a little snuggling, or even a standard-friendly kiss. So, my question is, what's so great about the song?!!

Moreover, a large portion of the songs on FM100 have similar themes. I try not to listen to them so much. My hope is that I'm always distracted by the hordes of interested Saturn-buyers constantly knocking down the doors eager to have me show them around, but in lieu of that much of the time I just read...

3 comments:

Mark said...

This is so true!! I have noticed this because they are all love songs. I also think that as I have gotten older I finally understand what some of the lingo implies.
Suzanna

Laurie said...

I've always found FM100 to be rather mind-numbing. I also think it's not music that meant to be listened to. It's just there, as you say, to break the silence.

Chrissy said...

Brian your age is showing.

I totally understand when I follow 14 year old sister into clothing stores I confused at the music playing. Someone got paid to write that? Why aren't woman beating stalking him down alley and beating him?