Monday, May 5, 2008

Denver

I'm in Denver.

It's a business trip. I'm here for a training that will go for 8 hours tomorrow. This is the first business trip I've been on in nearly 10 years.

The last one was to Richfield, Utah to help open a new Hogi Yogi there. I went back and read my journal from the time to remind myself of the trip. All I wrote about was feeling bad about not being in town for a Skalars show...

I seem to remember being on the local radio station. A DJ was doing a remote at the opening of the restaurant, and he interviewed me because I was an employee of the original Teriyaki Stix (Bowl). I remember him looking into my eyes and saying that he felt like the Lord had big things planned for me. You'd think I'd write about that in my journal, but no, I was 17.

So, Denver... actually I think we're staying in Golden.

There are four of us from Utah here. The car rental place was out of the cars that we had originally asked for, but then set us up in a Dodge Durango. Ah, to hear the biting critiques of our rental by a bunch of Saturn sales guys. My favorite: "I wouldn't buy this, but I could sure sell it."

We used a GPS thing to help us find the hotel, and therefore got lost, but only once. The GPS did an excellent job of saying things like this: "Continue on the same road in two miles." What are we supposed to do until then?! Huh?! The real highlight came when we pulled into the parking lot of the hotel and it said, "When able, make a legal U-turn."

Mike checked in for us and brought us four keys. He told us that there was just one room with two double beds...

Ah ha ha ha! What a joker, that Mike. Actually, that's kind of a lame joke, huh? Except that it was TRUE! Ha ha ha ha ehh...

We got another room and will be taking the bill back to Saturn of Salt Lake.

So dinner. We ate at a place called "The Keg." It boasted "keg-sized baked potatoes." I got a baked potato, and if it was the size of one of their kegs, they must throw some pretty weak parties, because it was the size of a regular potato. The other guys all tried the prime rib and raved about it, so if you're ever in Golden and want to spend a lot of money on dinner, try the prime rib at The Keg. The table was set with wine glasses, and when Dave told the server we wouldn't be needing them, our sever (Maury, by name) said, "You mean you don't want water?"

Dave was thrilled with Maury's name, and made sure to address him by name every time he came to the table. We all appreciated his mustache too. Maury gave fantastic service.

And now it's off to the pool, I'm thinking the rest of the trip will be pretty low key, inasmuch as it will consist mostly of sitting in a training. So this is likely all I have to write about Denver.

I mean Golden.




2 comments:

Laurie said...

Oh I just LOVE business trips. Seriously, I do. So far....

Anonymous said...

Business trip, eh? I wonder what that must be like. Does your GPS have a Yoda or Darth Vadar voice option, check it out.

Dave