Monday, May 19, 2008

A Walk

I like to think that I live in a very pedestrian-friendly area, where one can walk with kids in a stroller and get just about anywhere.

I like to think this, but I kid myself.

Yet sometimes I'm just enthusiastic enough about this hallucination to try walking in my neighborhood. Like the other day:

I took our Dodge Grand Caravan to a place to have the rear windows tinted; the poor mini-Holdinators suffer during sunsets in the backseat, so we're hoping tint will alleviate that pain a little.

The mini-Holdinators went with me; we dropped the van off and were told it would take four to five hours. I pull the stroller out of the van, strap them in, and head for home....

North on State Street (in Orem)
Then west on a little side street to find a place for mini-Holdinator #1 to go poopoo.
Ah! Family Dollar: Perfect.
The bathroom in Family Dollar is remarkably clean. I can't say how grateful I am for that.
And they have cool kids clothes at amazing prices, so I get something for each of the mini's.
Then off again. It was sunny but windy like crazy.
West on 800 North--against the wind.
I decided not to cross 800 West; why? Because sometimes I'm an idiot.
The sidewalk ended.
Weeds in really soft dirt made up our way.
I had to get the double stroller down to the 1200 West intersection, but the way down was this soft dirt, weeds, and an extremely steep decline.
I started to attempt it, but decided I like my mini's safely strapped in a stroller, not strewn across a busy street.
So we made our way into the LaQuinta Inn's parking lot and onto the lawn that ran along side a fence that made its way down to a sidewalk where I could cross 1200 West.
The stroller really wanted to run into the fence while I pushed it across a steep grassy slope.
We finally crossed and made our way up the construction zone that is 1200 West with sidewalk for about half the way, wind blowing us from the west.
And then got to home; I don't know about the mini-Holdinators, but my ears were ringing from the sound of the passing cars.

The sad part of this is that I know I'll do it again. Maybe not from Performance Tint, but somewhere.

Because I'm deluded.

I guess.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I've had a few adventurous walks like that. Good for the memories, perhaps one you won't want to repeat.

Chrissy said...

You will be blessed with amazing, beautiful legs from walking.
My sister use to call mine fat but I walk everywhere in Bellingham I don't feel self-conscious at church now.