Saturday, May 24, 2008

One Double Oh

100 posts! Wow! Oh my gosh! or heck! or whatever! My sister was the one who inspired me to start this blog, I thought it only appropriate that for my one hundredth post to echo what she did. That is, list 100 things about me. Oh boy...

1. I'm named (middle name) after my dad's younger brother

2. I lived in the same house from the time I was born until I was 19 and left for my mission

3. That house is green

4. But it's not a green house that you grow plants in, it's just painted the color green

5. My dad called me "bug" and "the blond German"

6. Maybe he still does when he's talking about me with my mom

7. It was a half-mile bike ride to my elementary school

8. I know this, because we drove there one day and tested the distance on the trip odometer so I could tell how far I was riding my bike to kindergarten

9. I'm thinking "kindergarten" looks like a German word

10. Once when riding my bike to kindergarten I scraped my left hand under a mail box and had to get stitches; the crossing guard carried me to the school (so I'm told)

11. I knew a girl named Tenly in kindergarten

12. I joined the Green Day "idiot" club

13. I have two older sisters, one older brother, and one younger brother

14. For about two and a half years while in college breakfast consisted of 2 or 3 cheddar cheese bagels and a donut from Smiths

15. For about two and a half years while in college my blood pressure got too high

16. When I was 15 I really wanted a job

17. I got hired at McDonalds, but then they said I couldn't work there because of my age

18. A couple years later my friend Heath got a job at the same McDonalds

19. Heath didn't like his job, except that when we went there for lunch one day he was surprised that the fries were hot and fresh

20. Heath tried to teach me how to meditate once in his one-room apartment in Manteca, California while listening to Magadog, but I didn't get it

21. Instead of working at McDonalds I got a job at Teriyaki Bowl

22. Then eventually I got a job at Sears where I met a girl who wore a different color pair of Converse Allstars everyday

23. She introduced me, kind of, to Skippy Smurf

24. Skippy Smurf introduced me to Supah Geek

25. Supah Geek introduced me to J

26. J and I got married in December 2002

27. I'm really, really in love with J

28. Two other guys who worked at Teriyaki Bowl (Stix actually) and I made a pact that we would never see the movie Titanic; the penalty for breaking the pact was death

29. One of the other dudes watched Titanic in Idaho

30. We didn't kill him; we figured watching the movie was probably a fate worse than death

31. My older brother hit me in the head with a baseball bat

32. accidentally

33. I have a smile on my right knee

34. Donuts, especially Winchells donuts, are heavenly

35. Cat allergies are terrible

36. I'm not allergic to cats

37. I used to be allergic to cats

38. But then I got NAET from the doctor who assisted Marie Osmond with her depression, and now I'm not allergic to cats anymore

39. As a missionary I rode in the backseat of a sheriff's car

40. Last time I weighed myself I was almost 200 pounds

41. I was once thought to be a hologram

42. I have carried on an entire conversation in which both parties only used the word "dude"

43. And this was long before those beer commercials

44. I'm not very good at sports

45. That I can remember I had committed to name my oldest son Bradley James or Aaron

46. My oldest son is not named Bradley James or Aaron

47. Speaking of names, I named each of my drums and cymbals on my old drum kit after famous drummers

48. They had names like Gene, Chad, Tre, and ... I don't remember the others

49. We (my friends and I) called my first car Starbolt

50. That came from a NOFX song; I wouldn't suggest listening to it

51. J and I spent our first Christmas together in a cheap motel and ate at Denny's

52. I majored in elementary education

53. and English

54. and history

55. and history education

56. and Classics

57. I graduated in Ancient Near Eastern Studies

58. I sell cars for a living, and I love it

59. After years of aspiring I finally got called to teach Gospel Doctrine, and I love that too

60. J and I have had four pet birds: one sparrow named Rochester, and three parakeets: Aberdeen, Wingfold, and Gladwynn

61. J and I have had (and still do) two pet cats: Nibley and Peterson

62. J and I have had three stinky pet mice: Constantine, Benedict, and ... help me out here J (i love you!)

63. J and I have had (and still do) one pet dog: Annie

64. I do seem to remember trying to grow some plants in my house growing up, but it's still not that kind of green house

65. Because it's not humid and glass

66. My best friend in high school once went to class wrapped up in Christmas lights; he plugged them in and "blinked" all during class

67. I've been on Less Than Jake's tour bus; probably not the same tour bus that they have now

68. I taught at the MTC for two and a half years

69. I taught Seminary for a year and a half

70. About a year ago I stood next to Elder Holland for about five minutes, but didn't have the guts to say anything to him

71. We were listening the the Utah Valley Bell Choir at the time and Elder Holland seemed really engaged in his listening

72. Elder Holland is taller in person than he seems in photos with other general authorities

73. I guess I'm opinionated about some things

74. If I'm ever setting up security questions on a website I can never use any objective questions such as "what is your favorite food?" or "what is your favorite color?" because I may like something today but in a month or whatever I might like something else

75. The best questions for me are subjective like "what color was your first car?" or "in what city did you attend elementary school?" because those answers never change

76. It seems to me that not very many people blog on the weekend

77. Like me, maybe they do most of their blogging while at work

78. One of the things that I'd always kind of wanted to try was being a server at a restaurant; that was fulfilled in 2006 when I got hired at Carrabba's

79. I hadn't heard the "f-word" in years when on my first day at Carrabba's I heard it more than once

80. I was just told by some guests that bought a car from me that I was so friendly and patient that they would have felt guilty shopping anywhere else

81. Ethically, I'm not sure how to feel about that

82. I really like the cartoons Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Cartoon Planet

83. I wish I could find the CD of Space Ghost's barbeque

84. When I was a paper boy I would listen to a walkman while delivering papers and imagine that I was in a music video

85. I still like to imagine that I'm in music videos when listening to my iPod

86. I have had two iPod Shuffles; I washed one in the laundry and spilled lemonade all over the other one

87. Do I have a favorite television show? Probably not, but I really like Scrubs and The Office

88. I used to have a bumper sticker on my car that said "Kill Your TV"

89. That was the first of a lot of bumper stickers that decorated the back end of Starbolt; according to this blog that makes me a white person

90. About the one iPod Shuffle, it was in my apron pocket at Carrabba's and somehow a glass full of lemonade spilled down the front of me into the pocket; it still plays music but iTunes doesn't recognize it when it's plugged into the computer

91. I was really excited when I got hired at Saturn and I discovered that there is a hot cocoa machine there

92. The first day that I met J she served me cookies and hot cocoa

93. One evening when I went to visit J before we were dating she asked if it was OK with me if we listened to a talk by Elder Holland called "Inconvenient Messiah;" I couldn't have been happier

94. I still haven't developed a phobia

95. When J and I were engaged, I would usually have lunch with J's best friend Nash; we'd split a sandwich and drink (again) hot cocoa next to the ballroom in the Wilkinson Center and commiserate with each other because we both missed J

96. J was in her first semester of nursing school when we were engaged

97. The semester we were engaged, I was still an English major and my GPA ended up being, um, not so great;

98. I have dyed my hair black, bleached, blue, and purple

99. I have really liked Converse Allstars for as long as I can remember (my earliest memory includes looking in my closet and imaging a pair of red Allstar high tops there)

100. I've seen Rubin and Ed

9 comments:

Jessica said...

eusebius

Holdinator said...

That's right. Thanks J. The other stinky mouse was named Eusebius, and he was the most friendly

Jessica said...

They weren't ONLY stinky!

Holdinator said...

I'll admit, they weren't only stinky. They were very cute too, especially when they'd pick up a little food morsel and work it around and around...

Angie Lewis said...

Wow, how long did it take you to think of 100 things?! I'm impressed! I have to say, I shared some of the memories...going to school with a girl named Tenly (we must have gone to the same school or something...), living in the same house (only mine was blue) until my mission, and I'm sure there were others...

Laurie said...

Yes, you did it!

Some things I knew and some things I did not know (for example, ALL your pet's names.)

Great list. I'll be looking forward to your 200th post.

Brian said...

Number 101, you have a California clone by the name of Brian Holdaway. I also went to BYU. I actually did become a lawyer. Enjoying the blog. I am proud owner of brianholdaway@yahoo.com email address. Did you take the brianholdaway@google.com address, forcing me to use a less descriptive alternative?

Holdinator said...

Hey Brian. That's pretty cool. I did take the gmail address, sorry.

Out of curiosity, did you serve you mission in Tonga or Samoa? I once got an email from someone from one of those places talking about me as a missionary there, but I served in Michigan...

Holdinator said...

Angie- I worked on the list for two days during slow times at work. Some of the things are a stretch, I know, but like J told me, they are about me obliquely.