Friday, June 27, 2008

I Hope He Looks Like This on the Inside

I've never met a sage before, but yesterday, for the first time in my life, I met a sage.

You can imagine my excitement.

Well, excitement wasn't the first response I had, it was more like annoyance.

I'd just pulled into the parking lot of the Wendy's down by East Bay in Provo. A car parked next to me, and since mini-#1 wanted me to roll down all four windows in the car, I did, and the guy in the car next to me rolled his down too.

"You're going to cause an accident one of these days," he said to me.

"Oh no, what did I do?" I asked (because I really wanted to know so I could avoid doing it in the future).

He shook his head, sighed, and rolled his window up.

He didn't come into Wendy's; I guess he just drove away. He made extra effort to follow me into the parking lot and dispense his wisdom.

Lunch found me in a reflective mood, trying to discover the error I had made while driving. It suddenly occurred to me what I had done: I'd started into the left turn lane behind two cars, but then realized they were turning into Burger King, so I went around them and then into the turn lane.

He could have told me this, but that would not have required me to put forth the effort on my part to discover my answer on my own.

He is a true sage indeed.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

That guy is a butthead.

Laurie said...

Good attitude.

Chrissy said...

Maybe the guy was psychic and he thought you were patronizing him when you said "oh no."
He realized telling fortunes were wasted on the young since old people already lived most their lives.