Monday, June 30, 2008

I Don't Know, Would You?

I got to work this morning with an armful of stuff from the Saturn Astra they've let me drive for the past two weeks, but now I have to give it back in exchange for my 1995 Chevy Lumina, which is a great car and we got it for free, so who's complaining, right? But when you work at a car dealership and you take people on test drives in really nice new cars, it kind of seems like it would be nice to drive one yourself, but then you think, "it's just a car!" and ...

Wait a second. Stop right there.

The post was hijacked. Just a second while I clear the area of all unrelated content . . . . .

There. That should do.

Now, back to the original story; the armful of stuff was important to the storyline. You see, I approached my desk and found someone in my chair! She was sorting and cutting coupons (as far as I could tell). I kind of approached slowly to see if she'd look up and notice me: I'm the one in that family picture hanging on the cubicle wall, which means: This is MY desk!

If she did notice me, she didn't seem to care. She just continued to spread her coupon collection across my desk and cut.

I guess she really needed desk space this morning, I can understand that. And had she asked someone who worked here where she could camp out with her coupons for a while, they could have shown her an unused desk. But she just decided to inhabit mine; even though it clearly was not unused.

It just made me think: Would I do something like this? If going into any kind of business and finding myself waiting for service, would I just park myself in some cubicle full of someone's things? I don't know, but I don't think so.

6 comments:

Angie Lewis said...

Interesting...I don't think I would dare use an employee's desk to spread out my stuff. There are a lot of clueless people in the world!

Laurie said...

I have space issues. I feel especially awkward if I it seems that I may be in someone else's space unannounced or uninvited. I have noticed that not everyone feels that way.

TJ said...

I saw her and considered saying something when I saw you looking so pitifully homeless, but was unsure what to say. Sorry.
I would have hated if that happened to me, at least she wasn't sitting in your chair.

TheKeilShpeel said...

That is kind of odd that she parked herself in an occupied cubicle. I don't know what I would do either.
Cars are just cars. It would be nice to drive something fancy but there are so many more important things in life than a nice car.

The Morty's said...

Wow..... I don't know what I would have done. That would have been awkward.

SHAGGY said...

dude that's not cool next time plant c4 for protection