Monday, July 14, 2008

Reclaiming the Psyche 1: Music

In an attempt to reclaim myself, in light of the former post describing the spirit-breaking brought on by Greedy dudes 1 and 2, I'll be writing the next few posts with a somewhat nostalgic quality. In essence, I'm going back to the various roots of my being and trying to become me once more.

First off, because I had this strike of brilliance to do this while listening to this song while mowing the lawn, I bring you my favorite song (and it just so happens to be my favorite music video too).

"The Set Up" by Reel Big Fish

This takes me back to the late nineties, when things were not too terribly tough. Responsibility was minimal, and music is what defined everything I did.

This song/video has all the qualities of greatness (according to me) all wrapped up in one:

-False-etto singing
-A fantastic horn section
-A rocking guitar solo
-Ridiculous and obvious tricks: like a floating guitarist
-A drummer who plays with bricks
-A bridge
-Hawaiian shirt

I'm sure I missed some things, but you'll pick up on the awesomeness of it all...

2 comments:

Matsby said...

Hey, you're from Utah and you like ska?

They made a movie about the Utah ska scene. www.theupbeatmovie.com

In case you're interested.

I'm not sure if I am or not yet.

Holdinator said...

I'll have to check it out. The Utah ska scene used to be pretty amazing.