Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Reclaiming the psyche 4: Sports

Coach
"NOW GET BACK IN THERE AND LET'S SEE SOME HUSTLE!"

Waaa-h-h-h-h-haay back when, I played a lot of sports. And I had a number of different coaches.

Today I learned that there are coaches for life. Not that they never retire, no no no, not at all, I guess I should have said they are coaches of life. That probably would have been more accurate, and would have helped avoid some confusion.

Sorry, guys.

Yep. Life coaches.

I found this out when reading the bio of an author. It said that she was a life coach.

Apparently she reminds people to breath.

Discouraged athlete: "I just can't seem to live coach. I'm trying, you know, working on my blood flow and heart beat and stuff, neurons firing and all that, but I can't get into the rhythm for some reason."
Life coach: "I've been watching you closely. I could tell there was something missing. You need to execute your game."
Discouraged athlete: "I'm trying to execute, coach, but there's something not really flowing, ya know?"
Life coach: "OK, I've got an idea. Try sucking air in through your mouth or nose and then blowing it out."
Discouraged athlete: "Um, OK." (thinks to himself: that seems really dumb)

Time passes, and then the athlete comes back to the coach, no longer discouraged somehow.

Renewed athlete: "I did it, coach! I sucked in air and pushed it out, and now everything else seems to work so well!"
Life coach: "It's like I've always told you. The fundamentals. Don't forget the fundamentals and everything else works itself out."

I'm thinking of becoming a life coach. I think I could do it.

Does anyone know of any schools that offer programs in life coaching?

9 comments:

TJ said...

Do they offer that degree at the school of hard knocks?

Holdinator said...

I don't know. It seems like such a cushy job that I'd imagine it would be offered at the school of softer, gentler knocks, you know?

Anonymous said...

Check out http://www.iPECcoaching.com. It's an ICF-accredited school and there's a report on the home about what to consider when selecting a school.

TJ said...

You make a good point.

Holdinator said...

All right. I checked out that site, and it's the real thing. Sounds a lot like something that goes on here in Utah called "Impact Training."

The only thing is, didn't Luke catch the sarcasm? I felt it was dripping off the post, but, ah well.

Spencer Ellsworth said...

I think I practically peed my pants from laughing at this.

"that seems really dumb" dare I say it, lol

Holdinator said...

SG! I'm glad this amused you so much. I knew there was someone out there who would appreciate it as much as I did.

Jessica said...

If you reclaim your psyche by becoming a life coach, I fear... deeply. That'd be like a heroine addict switching to meth, lol.

Holdinator said...

Yeah. Couldn't I just go for something a little less intense?